It can’t be that ONLY the two of us have a procrastination problem. So we decided to spend a moment reflecting on the idea of procrastination. Why do we do this to ourselves when we have other options? Have you ever noticed that when a project is done, you head feels clear, your body tension is less and your level of creativity increases?
We took a second to think about why we ‘delay’ things:
- We are “perfectionists.” If we don’t finish something, there is room to say…”It’s not done.”
- We are willing to accept the consequences of doing nothing. Maybe, we know will finish and it will be great.
- We like doing other things better than the task that should be completed.
- We are distracted by the little interruptions of the day. The email keeps arriving and the focus is on the urgent and not the important task of the day.
- We have so much on the “to do list” we don’t even know where to begin.
- Our workspace is not conducive to getting things done.
Regardless of the reason, we continue to look for ways to improve and complete tasks with time to spare. We set a clear goal, timeline and process. We also hold each other accountable. Find a colleague or friend to work with, it is more fun and harder to put off the work.
Plan for play and celebration. We are more than happy to find a reason to add a little fun to life.