Leaders who support and guide change do the following:
- Have a clear vision of how the change fits into the organization.
- Know the key individuals within the technology adoption curve.
- Encourage all individuals to participate and design change that will improve the system.
- Develop policies that create safe environments for innovation and risk taking.
- Use relationships and interactions to manage expectations, celebrations, & risks.
- Use Professional Learning Communities to model how to manage the emotions that change brings to the surface.
- Engage in conversation about the change with everyone and anytime the opportunity presents itself.
- Use meaningful data to connect vision and change. Adjust course as needed based on data points.
- Provide individuals room to grieve the old way, experiment in the darkness, and embrace the future.
- Celebrate, often and in ways that are important to the learning community.
Change is the one constant and how you lead matters.
More at http://smithandgann.com/grow