A couple of tips that have worked for us are:
- Getting clarification on the goal of a specific task.
- Turning off email for 30 minute blocks of time so concentrated effort can be given to activity.
- Setting a timer for small amounts of time where the only thing you can work on is the project.
- Schedule time on the calendar so others can’t interrupt your worktime.
- Setting personal deadlines that may be a day or week before actual deadline.
- Creating an outline of the project, especially when it feels bigger than life. Then filling in details as they occur. This way we are not stuck on the small details.
- Keep a reasonable to do list.
- Find a friend or colleague to hold you accountable.
- Celebrate and have fun.
When you are feeling the procrastination bug hit, try to remember what it feels like when you can cross something off the “To Do List!”. The energy you get from that memory is inspiring.